Imagine coming home after a long, stressful day at work. As you step through the door, you're greeted by the sight of the vibrant, thriving indoor plant that you've taken the time to care for. Its presence seems to melt away your worries, creating a sense of calm, rejuvenation, & pride for the care you've provided it. That simple interaction with a living, breathing plant has the power to transform your mental state. If you've ever experienced this soothing effect of an indoor plant, you're not alone. In this blog post, we'll delve into the transformative power of indoor plants on our mental health and guide you in choosing the perfect plant for your wellbeing journey.
At Mental Houseplants, one of the most frequently asked questions we receive is, "What indoor plant(s) do you recommend for mental health?" While there's no simple one-size-fits-all answer, we firmly believe that the benefits of indoor plants on mental health can be attained from any plant, as long as you choose the right one for yourself. Since each person's needs and preferences vary, it is crucial to select a plant that aligns with your specific lifestyle and resonates with you. In this blog post, we will explore the significance of individuality and personal preference in choosing the ideal indoor plant for your mental wellbeing journey. We'll also delve into the importance of mindful care, observing growth, deepening your connection to nature, and the air purification benefits provided by indoor plants in improving your mental wellbeing.
How Do I Choose The Right Houseplant For My Mental Wellbeing Journey?
- Assessing Your Mental Health Needs
- First, take a moment to reflect on your mental health needs and desires. Are you seeking stress relief, relaxation, or an uplifted mood? Consider factors such as aesthetics, ease of care, and the interactive experience of plant care. For example, if you're new to caring for plants and experience anxiety, you probably shouldn't go with a plant that's unforgiving & highly involved with strict requirements. Instead, you may want to consider an easy care & resilient indoor plant that allows both your knowledge and expertise to grow alongside it. Understanding your personal goals and desires will help guide you towards selecting the right plant for your mental health journey.
- Next, start researching various indoor plant options that align with your preferences and the conditions of your living space. Don't forget, if you find a plant that speaks to you but your environment doesn't fit, you can always use supplemental LED lighting, humidifiers/dehumidifiers, indoor greenhouse, etc. Take into account factors such as light requirements, water needs, size, growth patterns, & toxicity. For example, our top two easy-care & forgiving houseplants we recommend for beginners are Pothos Plants (Toxic) & Spider Plants (Non-Toxic). Since Pothos Plants are incredibly toxic to animals & humans alike, we do not recommend them to people with pets or small children. For people with pets and/or small children, we suggest the Spider plant due to it being non-toxic. Remember, the goal is not to find the "best" plant, but rather to discover one that suits your needs and excites you.
- Looking for more information on why we recommend Pothos & Spider plants and what their major differences are? Check out our blogs below:
Now That I've Chosen My Plant, How Do I Get The Most Benefits From Them?
- Embracing Mindful Care for Enhanced Wellbeing
- Irrespective of the plant you choose, the key to reaping mental health benefits lies in mindful care. Engage in the process of nurturing your plant, observing its growth, and connecting with nature on a deeper level. Dedicate regular time to tend to your plant's needs, including watering, pruning, and simply spending time nearby, appreciating its presence. Practicing mindful care fosters a sense of purpose, cultivates mindfulness, and promotes calmness and overall wellbeing.
- In addition to their aesthetic appeal and calming influence, indoor plants possess the remarkable ability to purify the air within your living space. Many plant species effectively filter and cleanse the air, removing toxins and enhancing indoor air quality. It's important to note, this has never been more relevant. According to this National Geographic article "Orange Skies Are The Future, Prepare Yourselves". The article explains how we should expect forest fires to become the norm due to climate change and how we need to protect ourselves from the resulting air pollution. By incorporating air-purifying plants into your environment, you can create a healthier and more refreshing atmosphere.
- According to the EPA "Americans spend approximately 90 percent of their time indoors where levels of pollutants frequently can exceed those found outdoors". With that being the case, it's incredibly important that we continue to foster our personal relationships with nature. Indoor plants allow you to transform your living space into an oasis of tranquility and wellbeing. You can create a harmonious environment that promotes relaxation and nurtures your mental health. Integrate natural materials, soothing colors, and comfortable seating areas to enhance the overall mental health benefits of your indoor nature sanctuary.
- Always remember that the process of caring for an indoor plant is as important as the end result. Embrace the learning curve, be patient with yourself and your plant, and allow for growth and transformation to occur naturally. The journey of cultivating and nurturing your indoor plant mirrors your own personal growth and well-being.
- By joining our community you have access to real-time support in your journey and have the chance to make meaningful connections with like-minded individuals. Whether your interested in what indoor plants have to offer us, need assistance with caring for your plants, or want to help others get the most out of their experience, we always have a place for you here.
Selecting the ideal indoor plant for mental health is a personal journey that requires consideration of individual preferences and goals. By choosing a plant that resonates with you, practicing mindful care, and harnessing the air purification potential, you can unlock the countless benefits that indoor plants offer. From stress reduction and relaxation to improved air quality and a stronger connection to nature, indoor plants have the power to optimize your mental wellbeing. Now that you're equipped with the knowledge to choose the perfect indoor plant for your mental wellbeing, take the first step towards creating a nurturing environment. Your indoor plant can be a trusted companion on your mental health journey, providing you with the support and tranquility you deserve.
Please leave a comment below to share your thoughts, questions and any experience you may have. We value your feedback and would love to hear about your experiences with indoor plants and mental wellbeing. Additionally, don't forget to join our supportive Facebook community group for the best possible experience! By joining our community, you'll have access to real-time support, valuable discussions, and the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals who share a passion for mental health and indoor plants. We look forward to connecting with you!
*If you still have questions and are not interested in our community group, please feel free to hit the "Chat" button in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and send us a message. We'd be happy to help in any way that we can!*